December 4-6, 2014. Transparent House and PLOS SF office, San Francisco, CA
Designing the Future
Our communities are recognizing the value of ALM in their work. As this happens, it is critical to ensure secure and reliable provision of data to support the whole ecosystem. To support our collective goals, a shared infrastructure is required to enable the diverse needs of funders, publishers, researchers and their institutions, and technology providers.
The purpose of the workshop is to convene stakeholders across the research ecosystem to brainstorm the design of these systems. Over two days, we will create a map of the potential data flows between producers and consumers, shared infrastructure provision and value-add providers. In particular we will focus on the places where shared provision can support a range of downstream uses and help to create the transparency, governance and trust that will support widespread adoption. On the third day, we will prototype ALM tools that support the new design proposed.
The program will be comprised of a series of interactive sessions that will contribute to the final output: a proposed map of the future ALM infrastructure. It will primarily focus on functional and technical needs.
- ALM-able attributes: qualities needed to optimize collection of ALM
- ALM data delivery: requirements for establishing frictionless channels for data access
- Infrastructure requirements: data scaling/performance needs
- Map interfaces: interfaces between data provision & ALM services
- Networked article: linkages for tracking articles & associated scholarly objects
- Designing for trust: technical and functional elements needed for system credibility
- Aligning community interests: consolidation of stakeholder needs into an inclusive projection
|Thu Dec 4||9am -10am||Welcome and intros|
|10am - 11am||Map introduction|
|11am - 12.30pm||ALM-able attributes|
|12.30pm - 1.30pm||Lunch|
|1.30pm - 3pm||ALM data delivery|
|3pm - 4.30pm||Designing for trust|
|4.30 - 5pm||Summary of day's discussions|
|5.30pm - 7pm||Reception|
|Fri Dec 5||9am - 10am||Intro|
|10am - 11.30am||Infrastructure requirements|
|11.30am - 1pm||Map interfaces|
|1pm - 2pm||Lunch|
|2pm - 3pm||Map making|
|3pm - 4.30pm||Aligning community interests|
|4.30pm - 5pm||Closing|
|Sat Dec 6||9am - 4pm||Hackathon|
|University of Montreal||Stefanie||Haustein|
Dec 4-5: Transparent House. Dec 6 hackathon: PLOS SF office. Please see map below for location directions.
As this will be a small event, we encourage you to find accommodations that best suit your interests and needs. Recommended hotels within walking distance are highlighted in red.